VW/AUDI Performance Parts: APR ECU Upgrade for the 5.2L FSI V10 R8 and Huracán
APR is pleased to present the ultimate engine control unit (ECU) upgrade for the 5.2L FSI V10 engine!
APR’s ECU Upgrades are the best dollar-per-horsepower modification one can make to the 5.2L FSI V10 engine. The upgrades dramatically increase horsepower and torque, making for an exceptionally quicker and more exciting vehicle. This is made possible through APR’s optimization of the factory engine management system to take full advantage of the engine’s capabilities, without needing any end user adjustment. The software loads to the factory ECU through the OBD-II port, resulting in a clean and headache-free install. Optional features, such as APR's EMCS Program Switching and APR Mobile are available. Furthermore, for those looking for tuning with a limited powertrain warranty, APR Plus has you covered!
APR ECU Upgrade Stages
- APR’s ECU Upgrades support various octanes. Each upgrade is fully compatible with an upgraded intake filter, cat-back exhaust, or other minor bolt on modifications.
- Each stage includes optimizations to the power and torque gauges to match the increased output. All modes performance modes have the speed limiter removed and left foot braking enabled. With a raised the rev-limiter to 9,000 RPM in manual mode (or with a TCU Upgrade), and adjusted thermal management system to optimize engine temperature. The throttle, intake, and exhaust flaps were optimized for power delivery. Furthermore APR completely optimized lambda control, port / DI split, cam phasing, ignition timing, and more to increase power. Lastly, APR added an optional quite cold-start mode that's an excellent addition for cars equipped with a loud exhaust.
APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade (540 HP Models)
- The APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade is the first step towards making more power! This simple upgrade requires no engine hardware modifications, and produces 634-653 HP with 420-427 FT-LBS of torque, depending on octane. Gains as high as 86-104 HP and 53-64 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band. To get more power, the vehicle can be outfitted with upgraded intake filters, catback exhaust and other small modifications without requiring any new modification to the ECU.
APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade (580 HP Models)
- This simple upgrade requires no engine hardware modifications, and produces 634-653 HP with 420-427 FT-LBS of torque, depending on octane. Gains as high as 47-66 HP and 29-40 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band. To get more power, the vehicle can be outfitted with upgraded intake filters, catback exhaust and other small modifications without requiring any new modification to the ECU.
APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade (610 HP Models)
- Requiring no engine hardware modifications, this simple upgrade produces 634-653 HP with 420-427 FT-LBS of torque, depending on octane. Gains as high as 17-35 HP and 13-30 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band. To get more power, the vehicle can be outfitted with upgraded intake filters, catback exhaust and other small modifications without requiring any new modification to the ECU.
- Audi R8 (540 PS) Coupé, Spyder & RSW, 5.2L FSI V10
- Audi R8 Plus (610 PS), 5.2L FSI V10
- Lamborghini Huracán LP580-2 (580 PS) Coupé & Spyder, 5.2L FSI V10
- Lamborghini Huracán LP610-4 (610 PS) Coupé, Avio & Spyder, 5.2L FSI V10
- E85 software is not a full flex fuel program. In this mode the engine is only designed to work on E85, as found directly at the pump, including both summer and winter blends from E60-E85. Using traditional pump fuels in this mode may result in engine damage. Do not manually blend with traditional pump fuel or race fuels or use race specific barrels of E85. To ensure proper E85 content levels, APR recommends using an E85 content sensor. Before using Ethanol, educate yourself and follow the APR switching guide.
- APR Stage 1 is available for 91 AKI, 93 AKI, and E85 fuel grades in North America.
APR EMCS Programs and Features
APR’s Enhanced Modular Chipping System, (EMCS), brings selectable programs and features to the factory ECU, without the need to purchase external hardware switching devices. EMCS has the ability to completely rewrite the entire operating map data within the ECU, giving each program mode a completely different set of calibration changes. On this platform, this is contrary to the industry norm of capping limits, using multipliers, only swapping portions of a base calibration, or relying on knock activity to lower output. APR’s EMCS features and programs modes are activated via the factory OEM cruise control buttons, and optionally through APR Mobile. The vehicle’s cruise control will function normally while driving.
The 5.2L engine uses a Bosch MED 17 ECU for engine management. Basically, it’s a computer that tells the engine how to operate. Tuning software, like the APR ECU Upgrade, tells the engine how to make more power. It does this by optimizing the cam shaft positions, adjusting the air/fuel ratio, advancing ignition timing, throttle, intake and exhaust flaps, port/DI splits, thermal management and more.
A Better Engine Management System:
The 5.2L ECU is incredible. Without the driver knowing otherwise, the ECU makes intelligent adjustments to the engine’s operations to keep it running smoothly. Unlike ECUs found in many other makes and models, when properly tuned, the ECU eliminates the need for custom tuning to maximize output, even when weather conditions change dramatically.
How APR Differs from the Competition:
The ECU is powerful, but extremely difficult to master. Without mastery, the ECU must be simplified, removing what makes it so desirable. The result is an incomplete product that often requires end user adjustment to maximize output in limited scenarios. On the contrary, APR’s Engineers spent the better part of a decade mastering the ECU to unlock its full potential. With complete access to the thousands of maps, tables and variables within, as well as a high-level understanding of how it works, APR’s Engineers were able to take advantage of everything the ECU has to offer. Power is maximized in nearly all scenarios, eliminating the need for end user adjustments. High performance operational modes are enabled and calibrated to deliver smooth daily driving, with a snappy and responsive throttle during moments of spirited driving. Lastly advanced high-output protection routines are enabled, allowing the ECU to make constant adjustments to airflow and fuel to cool and protect the engine, all without the driver knowing otherwise.
IMPORTANT PRICING AND AVAILABILITY DETAILS:
- Program Switching: A fully loaded ECU includes up to 4 program modes (stock mode, performance modes, valet, etc), as well as fault code erase, security lockout and anti-theft depending on availability and ECU compatibility.
- Availability and ECU Compatibility: Stages, programs, and features may not be available for all ECUs.
- ECU Revision Notice: Multiple ECU revisions exist for each platform. APR software may be temporarily unavailable when factory updates are applied. An APR dealer can check availability in person, or over the phone if the ECU boxcode/revision is known.